25 January 2014
EU sends mixed message on Ukraine as death toll mounts ~ link ~ European Commission chief Jose Manuel Barroso told him by phone on Thursday (23 January) that he risks EU sanctions, or, in his words, “possible consequences for bilateral relations,” if things do not get back to normal.
Some EU countries have voiced similar views, including Lithuania, Poland and Sweden.
But the same day, German Chancellor Angela Merkel told press in Berlin that: “Sanctions against Ukraine are not on the order of the day … What is important now is to stop the violence.”
Ukrainian protesters create "fortress" to resist feared attack - with photos ~ link ~ Building up barricades several metres high guarded by activists in body armour, Ukrainian protesters have turned their Kiev protest camp into a fortress they believe will be impossible to conquer without the greatest force.
In a scene recalling the fortified towns of the Middle Ages, protesters have built the barricades to protect their self-contained protest zone centred around the hub of Independence Square in central Kiev.
- Chilling warning by interior minister Vitali Zakharchenko, comes after almost a week of street violence
- Protests began against government's decision not to sign a deal for closer integration with Europe.
- Zakharchenko claimed authorities had information activists were 'hoarding firearms' at their headquarters
- Police threatened to storm Kiev city hall to free two policemen allegedly captured by demonstrators
- However, they now claim the policemen have been released thanks to negotiations with foreign embassies
- 100 anti-government protesters attempted to seize Ukraine's main energy ministry building
In other words, precisely what we have been saying since the beginning. Welcome to the 'conspiracy theorist' club, boys.
The recent 'New High' in stocks is as bogus as the Unemployment Rate ~ link ~ Separating those with a brain from those who believe anything! Stirling
This is what happens when the Status Quo is incapable of reforming itself or recognizing reality: propaganda and bogus statistics are substituted for actual solutions.
The most heavily touted statistical "proofs" that the U.S. economy is "recovering" and "growing" are the unemployment rate and the stock market. Both are completely bogus. Yes, bogus, as in phony, wrong, rigged, misleading, carefully crafted propaganda.
Contagion is spreading in emerging markets as economic crisis grows ~ link
Hollande confirms split with Trierweiler ~ link ~ link ~ Also see ~ link ~ A totally classless President and First Lady. Stirling